How to Shoot a Basketball πŸ€

Hello! In this post, I will be explaining how to shoot a basketball. First and foremost, I would like to say, PLEASE bend your legs when you shoot. I’m begging you. Seriously, I don’t know where you would get the strength to shoot if you don’t use your legs. Okay! Now that I’ve got that out of the way, grab yourself a basketball and find a hoop, because your going to need it.

Step 1: Turn the ball in such a way that the lines are horizontal and the “intersections” are at the sides. This will make it easier for you to shoot. An example is shown below.

Step 2: Place your non-dominant hand (if you’re right handed, it’s your left, vice-versa) on the corresponding side of the ball where the lines intersect. (If your left hand is non-dominant, put if on the left side of the ball like shown below) Make sure that your elbow is touching your waist.

Step 3: Place your right hand on the top of the ball and bring the ball to you hips and lean it to your non dominant side a little. Make sure that there is a little gap between the palm of your hand and the ball.

Now that you have your shot set up, you need to learn how to release it. Turn yourself a little so that your feet are facing your non dominant direction and line up your dominant shoulder with the hoop. When you shoot the ball, you want it to be one quick and fluid motion. To achieve this, you want to bring the ball up with your body.

Step 4: Slightly bend you knees and lock your eyes on the hoop. This technique is called targeting. In short, the longer you look at the hoop, the higher chance you have of making your shot.

Step 5: Bring the ball up to above eye level and spring off of your feet at the same time. Make sure that your dominant elbow stays in line and it not sticking out.

Step 6: Release the ball using your dominant hand and make sure that the other arm stays in line with the hoop. Flick your wrist and see if you can make the ball spin backwards. This will help your shot to go in if it rolls around the rim.

Congratulations! You have just learned how to shoot a basketball! I hope that by reading this, at least a couple of you have learned something about shooting a basketball.

2 thoughts on “How to Shoot a Basketball πŸ€

1. Wow, Tam!
    That is a great tutorial! Ready to go shoot some hoops?
    I love your blog and you have some great followers! My apologies to both you and your fans, I missed approving some posts πŸ™ They weren’t showing up on my reader in my dashboard or perhaps I’m still too new at blogging!
    Keep up the great work!
    Mrs. Richards